Monday, January 5, 2015

2015: The Year of the Geek

That's right folks, I'm going out on a limb here: 2015 is going to be the year of the Geek.

OK, I know that's not really a stretch and several other people are saying it as well.

But I can't help but be excited.

Most people know the year will end with the most anticipated movie of all time: Star Wars: the Force Awakens.

But before then there are many juicy bits of geekdom on the silver screen.

Some are going to be obvious hits like Avengers: Age of Ultron.

And some we will just have to wait and see.

I am exited about the return of Mad Max in Fury Road and Pixar's Inside Out.

Meanwhile, there are a few pieces which I am concerned about like Marvel's Ant Man.

Although I was just as concerned six months before Guardians of the Galaxy, and it turned out pretty well (hehe).

And, I have my certain doubts for some shows like Terminator: Genisys (I had to check that title six times to make sure I spelled it right!), Jurassic World and, possibly the worst, Fantastic Four.

There are also some wonderful opportunities outside of the theater.

Marvel is not just doubling down on it's Cinematic Universe, it's going all in.

This year sees the spin-off of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Agent Carter.

Marvel is also getting ready to start its partnership with Netflix with the release of Daredevil in May as well as Marvel's Jessica Jones later in the year.

This all sets up for later releases on Netflix of "Luke Cage", "Iron Fist" and eventually, "Defenders".

There are likely other major geek events to come in the next 12 months, and I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Did I miss anything? Let me know in the comments...



No comments: