Thursday, December 4, 2014

I'm ready for a new companion

As series eight for Doctor Who was coming to an end last month we were getting word that Jenna Coleman was leaving the show as companion Clara Oswald.

Now we hear that she is not in fact leaving after the Christmas Special, but could stay for another series.

I have watched many companions come and go over the past 30+ years of watching Doctor Who, and I think it's time for her to go.

I liked Clara as souffle girl and the impossible girl, but this past season where she was just lying to everyone and seemingly so selfish, I started to not like her.

I know I'm not alone in wanting to see her leave, but I also know there are many fans out there who want her to stay forever.

Let me tell you my experience with my favorite companion that everyone else hated.

That's right I liked Adric!

I was in my pre-teens watching Doctor Who for the first time.

While I certainly liked watching companions like Sarah Jane and Romana, I was thrilled when a boy joined the Tardis crew.

Finally there was someone with whom I could identify.

It wasn't until many years later that I realized most people didn't like Adric, and were probably excited to see him go.

For me, though, it was rough because ***SPOILER ALERT*** Adric got killed off after saving Earth from destruction by the Cybermen.

Since then I don't think I've ever wanted to see a companion leave until now.

I'm ready for someone new, and unless something amazing happens during the Christmas show, I don't think I'll change my mind.

So, what do you think about Clara sticking around? Let me know in the comments...

No comments: