Monday, November 10, 2014

The Doctor Disappoints

I have been dreading this post after Saturday night's Doctor Who finale, and I will worn you right now there are spoilers following.

So, if you haven't watched "Death in Heaven", and don't want to be spoiled don't read any further.

When Season 8 began in August I wasn't too thrilled with the direction it was going.

But as a true fan, I stuck with it in the hopes that it would get better.

And, in some cases it did.

There were some wonderful episodes like Flatlines and Mummy on a Train, but then came the final episode for the season.

"Death in Heaven" has to be the worst finale to the worst season since Doctor Who was renewed in 2005,

I will start with the good for the show: I was pleased with the performances.

Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman did a great job for what they were given.

I also enjoyed Michelle Gomez as the female version of the master.

She was fantastic as the evil Time Lady, although show runner Steven Moffat had no clear motivation for her.

Now for the bad, I was disappointed in the story line which was written with no purpose what so ever.

I don't always mind the death of an secondary character in any genre, but the death of Osgood really upset me.

She was a great character, and she could have done so much more.

Finally, there was the scene where we find out the Brigadier is now a Cyberman.

While it was moving at first, upon reflection, the realization that one of my favorite companions was now a metal machine was very disturbing.

All in all the show made no actual sense and the ending was awful.

I have truly enjoyed Moffat until this point, but I think its time to bring a new person in to guide this show.

This was Capaldi's first season as the doctor, and it should have been filled with fun and adventure.

Instead it was moody, dark and, at times, rather boring.

Maybe this will all be fixed in the Christmas special.

If not, I worry that come next August there will be few viewers who will be watching Season Nine.

So what did you think of the show? Let me know in the comments...



No comments: