Monday, July 14, 2014

Doctor Who Season Eight Just Around the Corner

The new season of Doctor Who staring Peter Capaldi airs on BBC and BBC America in about a month and a half.

BBC has finally released a full trailer of the upcoming season featuring Daleks, dinosaurs and doubt.

I am extremely excited to see the new series and new incarnation of the Time Lord.

However, I'm not interested in checking out the scripts which were accidentally leaked online.

In fact, I have to say I 'm very proud of how the BBC handled the leaks, by just asking the fans not to give into the "spoilers".

Instead, I thought I would indulge in a little fantasy of what I would like to see from the new season of Doctor Who.

The following is not a spoiler or any sort of insider information, I just think it would be fun to speculate.

To start we need to return to 1986 and Doctor Who's 23rd Season.

The show was already waning in popularity, so BBC decided to run a full arc known as "Trial of a Time Lord".

While the 6th Doctor would ultimately prevail during the trial, the actor playing him, Colin Baker would not.

But, before the ending, it was revealed that the prosecutor in the case who was called the Valeyard was the Doctor from the future. 

The Master calls the Valeyard a dark version of the doctor which happens sometime between his 12th and final incarnations.

I remember watching this at the time and wondering if at some future date we might actually have that revealed.

Of course the answer was "no" because the show ended with the seventh doctor just three years later.

But times have changed with the eighth doctor in 1996, and subsequent ninth through 11th since 2005.

Now we have the 12th incarnation in Peter Capaldi.

We already know show producer Steven Moffat loves the classic series, and pays homage to the old shows on a regular basis.

It also seems apparent that Capaldi's Doctor will go a little darker according to the trailer. 

So, I'm just hoping we might see some tease as to the creation of the Valeyard. 

Either way I know I am ready for August 23rd to kick off the next chapter. 

No comments: