Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Star Wars fans: Don't Fear the Reboot

Okay, technically the upcoming Star Wars books, movies and television shows aren't a reboot, more like a return.

But over the past few decades of my life I have seen numerous reboots, returns, revisits, remakes, sequels, and prequels.

Sometimes they work like Doctor Who's return in 2005 after a 16 year hiatus.

Sometimes not so much: I'm looking at you Phantom Menace.

I remember in 1987, it was announced that Star Trek was returning to the small screen.

I was admittedly worried and excited at the same time.

My friends and I had a party the Sunday night Star Trek: The Next Generation aired on Channel 4.

While it might not be as good by today's standards, Encounter at Farpoint blew me away, and I didn't stop watching Star Trek on television until Enterprise was cancelled in 2005.

Certainly a reboot can come with mixed reviews from fans like the recent Star Trek movies.

Personally, I enjoyed them for what they were: entertaining.

And that's the recommendation fans should take into the future of Star Wars, allow yourself to be entertained.

I know there are worries especially since LucasFilm announced it would not recognize the Expanded Universe as canon.

While it might be disappointing that a character like Mara Jade might be gone, it offers an opportunity for those of us who have immersed ourselves in Star Wars lore to see something new.

It's also exciting for someone like my son who will grow up in a world with a guaranteed continuity in everything released.

I don't believe there's been a better time to be a Star Wars fan, but it's only going to be fun if we embrace it and enjoy it.

So don't fear the reboot, or return, of Star Wars, hey, at least we're getting something.

No comments: