Friday, April 18, 2014

Geek 101: An Introduction

One of the things I have noticed recently is the world of geek culture is growing rapidly as are the number of people who enjoy some of the things we have all our lives.

The works go back even before I was born with things like Doctor Who or Star Trek or comic books.

I grew up with most of these things and have spent the past 40+ years watching, reading and enjoying them.

But, there are many who haven't.

Some are far too young, especially a majority of millennials whose first experience of sci fi was the Phantom Menace.

Then there are older people who are dating a "true believer".

I was fortunate my wife had a good understanding of the culture growing up a Star Trek fan, even owning a first edition Star Fleet Technical Manual from the 70s.

But for those guys or girls out there who get involved with someone who doesn't have a clue, I want to provide a few posts to give you an idea of how to start teaching your significant other about our world.

First off, don't keep it a secret.

I know some who don't want to introduce a partner to this stuff.

It used to be out of embarrassment, but now a days it's cool, so let your geek light shine.

If your partner is interested, teach them.

It makes life so interesting.

So for the next couple of posts I'll go over certain aspects of the geek culture and what items are best to introduce to those with limited or no knowledge of it.

Leave me a comment on any of the subjects you would like me to go over.

We'll start with Star Wars followed by Doctor Who, coming soon.

No comments: