Friday, December 20, 2013

An Okie who speaks geek

When I was younger I enjoyed things considered geeky: comics, sci fi movies/TV shows and fantasy role playing games As I got older I tried to hide my geek side because it wasn't cool, especially in Oklahoma which embraces more manly things like football and hunting. But, over the past few years I have noticed the winds changing in the Sooner State. It's a movement which has been going on for more than a decade across the US; unfortunately, Oklahoma takes a while to catch on with the rest of the nation. Main stream culture is starting to embrace the geek culture.

FINALLY!!!
 
So, now I am getting the chance to talk about some of my favourite things:

First on the list would have to be Doctor Who! I started watching the show with my father one Saturday night when OETA aired the very first Tom Baker episode. I was oh, so excited when the show returned in 2005. I am amazed as to how the show's popularity has grown. I'll talk more about my history of the show as we get closer to saying goodbye to Matt Smith on Christmas Day.

Next, we have Star Wars. While many might be familiar with the movies, I have followed the extended universe through comics and books. I love the fact that the Star Wars story goes more than 25,000 years before and 150 afters the first movie took place. I am also very excited about the upcoming movies starting in December of 2015.

I came relatively late to comics and graphic novels. While many of my friends collected titles like X-Men and Superman, it didn't grab my attention as a young person. Then in the early 90s, someone handed me a DC comic entitled Sandman  by Neil Gaiman. My life changed. Over the years, I have enjoyed reading many different stories beyond just the Vertigo although my first love will always by Sandman, Swamp Thing and Hellblazer. But, I have also grown to love the monthly installments from DC and Marvel superheroes along with other works from companies like IDW and Dark Horse. 

There are of course many other geeky interests I have which I plan to share here and hope you join me for the ride.

No comments: